Easter: April 5, 2015
Festival: April 7-11, 2015
Concerto Playoff: April 10, 2015
Eastside Artists Concerts: April 18-19
Registration: January 3 to March 10
Welcome to PAFE
We are a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to providing a fun and educational experience for young performers in the Greater Eastside areas of metropolitan Seattle in Washington state since 1987. Our festival is always held the week after Easter.
Registration for 2015 Begins in January
The 2015 divisions and classes have been determined, and you can find everything on the Festival 2015 page. The adjudicators are all arranged. Piano: Dr. Duane Hulbert and Dr. Renato Fabbro. Violin-Viola: Dr. Meredith Arksey and Dr. Svend Rønning. Cello-Bass: Meta Weiss. Woodwinds: Paul Taub. Voice: Ellen McLain and J.Patrick Raftery. Detailed biographies are available from the Division pages. It is going to be a great Festival!
Richard Engstrom, PAFE Board Member for 28 Years
On Saturday, December 6, 2014, Our friend and colleague, Richard Engstrom passed away. He was not only one of the founders of the Performing Arts Festival of the Eastside back in 1986, he had served on the board for its entire history. The 2014 Festival created a new award in his name, over his uncharacteristic protests. He was invaluable at making contacts for the Festival, because he personally knew everybody in music both here and around the country. And they knew him.
Here are some of the comments about Dick:
- Oh my, so many memories... He did indeed love opera and singers. I will miss his enthusiasm and support.. - Eleanor Stallcop-Horrox
- He was so supportive of young talent and always made me feel I had a good friend rooting for me whenever I performed back home. He'll be missed and loved by many. - Julia West
- Incredible human being. Huge loss for all of us. - Irina Akhrin
- Dick will be fondly remembered. I'm so honored to be the first winner of Richard Engstrom Award in Opera at PAFE earlier this year. - Dr. Ming Hong
- We are all in mourning, Dick was a bright light with real heart for and much dedication to the performing arts and its artists. - Christine Zomorodian
- His passion for music and young musicians was tireless. A very sad day indeed. - Debra Zadinsky
- Oh, he was a such a wonderful man, so inspirational and just a great motivator of young talent. He will be sorely missed. - Victoria Rimoczi-Olson
- I will always remember you and be grateful for the encouragement and opportunities you brought my way along with many, many other young singers. - Jenny Shotwell
- Always the most positive energy in the room! He will be missed! - Robert McPherson
- What an amazing force of support he has been for singers and other musicians in the Seattle area for many years. - Ryan Bede
- The Seattle music community lost one of its greatest champions of young singers. - Ben Harris
- He truly was an incredible cheerleader for young singers in the Northwest. A passionate man who loved life - the Seattle music community won't be the same without him. Dick: I dedicate my singing this evening to you!! I hope that Northwest singers have a chance to celebrate your memory through music. - Sarah Fletcher
Facebook: Oscar Peterson, a piano virtuoso by any standard
As soon as you start to feel like a competent pianist, listen to this virtuoso to spark your drive. Is your ensemble pretty good? Then listen to this trio playing together at nosebleed speed. Also, our Facebook page is a great place to post pictures directly from the Festival and see pictures from the 2014 Festival. You can also post your pictures from other performances around town. Tell us what's going on. Also follow us on Twitter (@PAFEMusic).
2013 - Concerto Playoff Program (PDF)
2013 - Recognition Concerts Program (PDF)
2014 - Concerto Playoff Program (PDF)
2014 - Eastside Artists Concerts Program (PDF)
Check out pictures from the 2014 Festival on our Facebook Page.
Community Support for PAFE
Bellevue Arts Commission
The PAFE Festival is supported not only by teachers, parents, and students in our community, but also by important city and regional organizations.
Donations to PAFE
Many thanks to the families that included a donation to PAFE with their registration payment. Your extra support is much appreciated, and is being put to good use to support the Festival. You can also use the DONATE button above the pictures on the right of this page to make your contribution to the Festival through PayPal. Any amount is very much appreciated.
What&'s On This Site?
For the Who's Who of PAFE, look at the About Us page.
For answers to your questions, look at the Frequently Asked Questions page.
For news releases and other information, see the Newsroom page.
For information about the Festival, watch the Festival page for new information about the 2014 Festival.